Google Doesn’t Care …. if you are a writer, an author, a bookseller, an agent, a store, or a random blogger.
Google doesn’t care what you are as long as you follow the algorithms that it has placed. This is SEO – Search Engine Optimization. Everything we put into search has to be optimized for your best use.
But did you know that you can help your site to be placed better in the search engines?
You can update your author site with quality content, the speed your page loads, how active you are on social media, mobile friendliness, and don’t forget keywords.
Please note this is not everything you need to know for SEO Optimization, this is just to get you started.
You need to think about:
Quality Content: You need content that is original, engaging, interesting and helps your reader. Your readers come to your site to know more about you and your stories. Just having links to Amazon is not enough anymore.
- The Content Marketing Institute is one the go-to sites about content. They help you to understand that you have to update your content. Take a look at this article about the 11 ways to dominate the social scene with killer content. You can adapt these ideas to your author site.
- Longer content is becoming the better way to go according to Bosmol.com.
Formatting: Behind the scenes is just as important as what you see on the screen.
- Page Speed: You have lots of pictures of your books, but did you know that those very pictures could be slowing the loading of your page when readers come to check you out. Google is watching and takes note of whether or not your site loads quickly for your interested customers.
- here are 7 tips to help your page load faster
- Mobile Friendly: There are so many more people using their cell phones to reach the internet, that you have to think about whether your site can adjust to the different screens.
- Descriptive Meta Description: You cannot forget this part.
- Title Tags and Alt Image Tags
Social Media: You have to come up with a strategy that works for you. Give me a call and I can help you come up with a strategy that works for you.
Keywords: Keywords are important to remember according to the leading expert Heather Lloyd-Martin (SEOcopywriting.com). While we shouldn’t stuff our sites with keywords, we need to remember them when you are writing on your sites, your blogs, your interactions.
Another thing I found was that, Google would like you to do everything Google. Signing up for Google+ and having an active, engaging account helps you in the search engines according SEOOptimizers.com
So if you update your content, remember your formatting, spend time on social media, oh and don’t forget your keywords, then you will be one step ahead of the rest.
I know this is a lot to think about. Some authors really understand this, while some do not. It’s okay. This is why I am here. Fill out the form below and I would love to help you get started on updating your site.